Saturday, March 26, 2011





The Weeknd has sparked a lot of discussion about "hipsters" and R&B, but I have to say that if you like R&B and you don't like this, there is something wrong. This isn't all that left-field, its just totally solid. I think that the attraction of the indie crowd to this mixtape has less to do with sound and more to do with distribution methods. This is basically in a consistent-sounding album form, which is something that even the biggest R&B artists usually don't provide. If you're not willing to pay a lot of attention to the latest Chris Brown or Drake singles, listen to the radio, or sift through their albums for the "good" stuff, then this mixtape might seem like a revelation.

Edit: Ok so I've been listening to this mixtape so much, and I might regret this, but this is the most consistently good album/mixtape I've heard this year. Every song is ridiculously immersive. I have, of course, heard a lot of great music that didn't necessarily excel in the form of an album, so take this statement with a grain of salt. Here's another great track:



No comments:

Post a Comment